I've just started reposting here after a nine month absence. Look for some nice changes to the site and regular updates on U.S. intelligence, privatized spying, Korea, Japan and music. My pages section at the top (just below that incredible photo from South Korea in 1960) includes links to much of my work on Korea, Japan, etc., over the years. Meanwhile, follow me on Twitter @TimothyS and read my blog at TheNation.com.
- With intelligence leaks, the contractors are the culprits
- America is not an innocent bystander in Korea
- The Washington Post didn’t like this piece on the US role in Korea…
- American Military Power in Asia and the Trump Factor
- 20 years ago, my reporting caused a furor in South Korea
- Kilcullen to Me: “You’re a conspiracy theorist.”
- “Nation-Building” Is Back: Now with Contractors
- Hankyoreh honors my work on the U.S. and South Korea
- Whatever happened to the COINdinistas?
- With Clinton, Expect Increased Tensions with North Korea
Category Archives: Japan
A report from my friend Alan Gleason, an American expatriate living in Tokyo, about his recent visit to Japan’s earthquake zone with his hot jazz band, “The Hot Club of Osawa.” (That’s Alan, playing the stand-up bass) By Alan Gleason … Continue reading
My latest, from The Nation. An excerpt: The fact that so many media organizations had to fly journalists to Japan underscores how much that country has disappeared from our political discourse since the early 1990s, when Japan’s economic juggernaut was … Continue reading
Nuclear Gypsies – The subcontractors who do the dirty work As the six reactors at Tokyo Electric Power Company’s Fukushima power complex have burned out of control over the past week, both the foreign and Japanese press have been full … Continue reading
Part One: Japan, Democracy, and the Globalization of Nuclear Power (Updated throughout 3/20/2011) Part Two: Nuclear Gypsies (posted 3/20/2011) Update: My interview about the Japanese nuclear crisis on RT’s Alyona Show on 3/18/2011. Since I woke up last Friday, I’ve … Continue reading