This CIA report, dated June 1979, was probably written as background material for President Jimmy Carter’s 1979 visit to Seoul. It was obtained by Tim Shorrock under the Freedom of Information Act in 2006; the initial FOIA request to the agency was made in 1993.
I've just started reposting here after a nine month absence. Look for some nice changes to the site and regular updates on U.S. intelligence, privatized spying, Korea, Japan and music. My pages section at the top (just below that incredible photo from South Korea in 1960) includes links to much of my work on Korea, Japan, etc., over the years. Meanwhile, follow me on Twitter @TimothyS and read my blog at TheNation.com.
- On Buzzfeed’s McCarthyite smears against Korean Americans
- The Dictator’s Daughter Strikes Again
- Gwangju: Preserving the vicious nature of martial law, 1980
- Guest Post: South Korea Bans Korean-German from Kwangju
- My Gwangju FOIA Documents Get a Home – In Gwangju
- Reflections on The Intercept’s Snowden Archive
- Back to Korea
- Hiroshima: Yes, an apology is long overdue.
- A Plea for Peace in Korea
- Chomsky on Korea, U.S. Foreign Policy, Sanders and Clinton